Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Domo Arigoto Mr Roboto

While it may be a little too late in the game to order any costumes online, I still wanted to share my robot-costume treasury list. I would like to add that most of the clothes in the treasury list are vintage items and there is still enough time for one to find costumes from the thrift shop. And if I could offer a little bit of advice: don't just stick to the Halloween section of the thrift shops. Keep an open and imaginative mind and scour those shops from the sweater sections to furniture to toy aisles. You might find something extraordinary in a place that you might not initially think to look.

Like I said, I was late in the game making this costume treasury. I wish I would have thought of it sooner, because I am pretty sure I would have ordered some of these things for my costume this year. However, there is always next year and I will still have this treasury to look back on and be inspired by. Hopefully, I'll remember in time. And I hate to admit it, but I kind of hope some of this stuff is still available. I mean, don't get me wrong, I hope these wonderful shop owners get some sales, but if I'm not able to get one of those amazing robot helmets next year, I will be pretty sad.

And without further adieu, I present you with:

ROBOT INVASION


click on the pic to see the full list

Now, the possibility of purchasing these items in time for Halloween may be slim. However, don't be afraid to send a message to the shop owners about faster shipping. Some of them might be able to accommodate, but don't be mad if they can't. 

Would you like to a robot for Halloween, but feel like you don't have time to get the costume together? Never fear! You can whip one up in no time and still impress your friends. Seriously. Just google home made robot costume and search through the images. You will soon see how easy it can be.



I really like this lady robot. A robot skirt could easily be made with some cardboard, duct tape and silver spray paint or aluminum foil.


If you plan on making a robot costume, here are some things you might need:

cardboard boxes
dryer venting
duct tape
silver spray paint
aluminum foil

*these things will get you your basic robot costume

Other things you can use to make your robot more awesome:

old cds
gears
glow sticks
bike helmet painted silver
old computer parts
old clock parts
plastic cups for knobs and/or eyes

*please be cautious when harvesting any old electric parts- you can get shocked

For the ladies:

First off, let me just say, don't slut up your costumes too much. You can still look pretty and even sexy without looking like a total whore. A slutty costume might get you some attention for the night, but you'll probably still be single in the morning. 

I've never seen much of a shortage of silver in women's fashion. Get a silver dress, silver/black or grey tights, silver heels, some of the items mentioned above, some silver/grey/blue make up and you are well on your way to being a pretty female robot. Most robots don't have skin, so try not to show too much of it. 

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING 
TO HAVE
FOR A ROBOT COSTUME
IS:

A GOOD ROBOT VOICE!

Seriously, if you're going to take the time to make a killer robot costume, you better work on your robot voice. Watch some robot movies or even try to mimic Siri from your phone. 

J.P. from the movie, Grandma's Boy has a pretty decent robot voice complete with sound effects. Remembering some of his lines will probably get you some laughs too. 



SECOND MOST IMPORTANT
THING YOU NEED
(and could arguably be the 1st most important)
IS:

ROBOT MOVES!

Robots don't have fluid moves like humans. You MUST be able to at least pull off a few stiff robot moves if that is going to be your costume. If you're having trouble, there are dozens of robot dance tutorials on youtube. If you want some super inspiration from a super robot dancer, look no further than this Michael Jackson robot dance montage.


You might not be able to pull off M.J.'s moves, but it's worth a try.

Follow my advice and you can be well on your way to being a robot this year.

Thanks for reading and please let this last video give you one more hilarious bit of inspiration.


00000010000001100010001000100010101001010100101001010001
010010110010100101010010010101001





No comments:

Post a Comment