Sunday, December 8, 2013

Late Night Munchies Recipe - Breakfast Nachos

One late December eve, I was struck with a fierce case of the munchies. I skimmed through my fridge and cupboards to see what sort of ingredients I had. One jumbo bag of tortilla chips was screaming at me from it's shelf. I placed it on the counter. My first instinct was to grab some salsa, but to my dismay there was none, anywhere. "What else do I have that would be good on nachos?" I wondered aloud in my empty kitchen.
Cheese. Of course, cheese. I found the half block of cheddar right away and began to grate it. However, I knew that my hunger was too strong to be satisfied by only a measly plate of chips and cheese. I needed more sustenance on these beautiful, golden corn chips. I knew that I had no beef or beans in the kitchen, but I suddenly remembered the 1 pound of breakfast sausage that I had bought the day before and I realized what I must do next. "I must make breakfast nachos." I declared to myself in my empty kitchen. "And so shall it be."
I placed the tube of sausage on the counter along with a large yellow onion. I frantically searched again for some sign of beans that I could warm up, but I came up short. Diced tomatoes would have been great, too, but after a careful inspection, I didn't even have a can of spaghetti sauce, let alone a fresh tomato. With a defeated sigh, I forged ahead. I was determined to make "breakfast nachos" with what I had.





The recipe below is for a full cookie sheet of nachos. You can cut the ingredient amounts down to create a smaller serving.
I highly recommend melting the cheese in the oven as opposed to the microwave, because it puts a nice toast on the chips.


Late Night Breakfast Nachos

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 diced yellow onion
  • 2 tbsp. butter
  • 1 lb. ground sausage - any flavor - I used sage
  • 1 bag of tortilla chips
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese - use more or less according to your tastes
  • 5-6 eggs
Preheat broiler on oven.


Dice onions and sautee in 2 tbsp. of butter over medium - high heat. When onions have become slightly transparent, add sausage. Cook meat thoroughly while crumbling into small pieces. 

While the sausage is cooking, start cooking your eggs in another pan. You will need 5-6 eggs cooked over easy. Place eggs on a plate when done cooking. Be careful to not break yolks.
oeFPCs on Make A Gif, Animated Gifs
make animated gifs like this at MakeAGif







5NQib9 on Make A Gif, Animated Gifs
make animated gifs like this at MakeAGif

Place a layer of tortilla chips on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle 1/2 of cooked ground sausage and onions on top of chips. Sprinke 1/2 of grated cheese on top of that. Make another layer of tortilla chips. Top with remaining sausage, onions and grated cheese. 





Place under broiler for just a few minutes. Watch carefully during this stage, because the cheese and chips can burn really fast. You have to watch them. When the cheese looks melted and a little bit bubbly, remove them from the oven. 

If you are serving a large crowd, you can place the cooked eggs, spaced out, over the entire tray when it comes out of the oven. Or you can make individual servings, like I did, with one or two eggs placed on top. 


The best and most breakfasty part of this snack or meal is the addition of an over easy egg or two on top. As soon as you dip your chip into the yolk, it oozes out over the top and creates a sauce. The runny yolk is heavenly when it mixes with the hot sauce and cheese. Add a chunk of sausage and a little piece of the egg white and you have an amazing bite of breakfast inspired nachos. 

Ideally, I would have had more ingredients to put on these, but I was working with what I had. I imagine it would be great with the typical toppings in a denver omelet.

Other toppings to consider:
  • diced bacon
  • fresh tomatoes and/ or salsa
  • refried beans
  • sauteed peppers - sweet and/ or spicy
  • maple sausage instead of sage
I took some pics of my progress, but I have to say, food pictures are not easy to take. Kudos to those of you who can take great food pics.


No comments:

Post a Comment