Sunday, January 19, 2014

The Goldberg's Fashion Inspiration






My last fashion inspiration post from a tv show was all about Freaks and Geeks and now this one is all about The Goldbergs. I guess I'm stuck in that 80s/ 90s aesthetic. That was the style I grew up in, so I think I'm naturally drawn to it. Both the 80s and the 90s could be described as simultaneously being the best and worst times in fashion history. I don't foresee the gawdy embellished jumpsuits worn by middle aged moms in the 80s ever making a comeback. However, the bright, bold colors of that time still echo in modern fashion. The grunge look of the 90s has been cleaned up a bit, but there is still something beautiful about flowered baby doll dresses with plaid flannel and doc marten boots. My love for these decades may be driven mostly by nostalgia, but that's ok.



Nothing gets me reminiscing more than the 80s. And no tv show gets me reminiscing more than The Goldbergs. I'm striving to make this post mostly about the fashion, but I can't help but talk the show up as well. It is arguably the best new sitcom of the season. Based on real life events of creator Adam F. Goldberg and narrated by an adult version of him, voiced by Patton Oswalt. It's like the Wonder Years in the 80s and with a lot more laughs.

I'm in love with the show and the characters. I think it is the best new sitcom of the season and I hope that it gets picked up for another season. It would be horrible if this show were prematurely cancelled like Freaks and Geeks was. This post seems to be becoming more about the show than the fashion on it, but I can't help it. It really is a fantastic show. The characters are hilarious and the fact that they are based on real people makes it all the more charming.

One stand out character is the mother, played by Wendi McClendon-Covey. In my opinion, she is one of the funniest ladies in showbiz. You may remember her from the movie Bridesmaids or Reno 911. I think she is the perfect woman to play the role of this quintessential 80s mom. I could go on and on about her, but I will try to rein myself in and talk about the clothes in the show, which is why I set out to write this post in the first place. But, oh man, she is hilarious! I love her so much!

and she can actually skate her ass off too, which makes me love her even more!

Being a woman, you might think that I want to talk about the jean jumpsuits with day glo belts or the big hair. No. It's the youngest member of the Goldbergs, Adam, whose wardrobe I want.


His T-shirts! I was a hulkamaniac back in the day and I had this very shirt. I wonder what ever happened to it? Oh yea, I remember. I ripped it down the middle to show how strong I was and then beat the crap out of my little brother in our living room wrestling arena. And then I claimed the wrestling belt that we made out of cardboard. No. I didn't really do that, but I could have.

That Star Wars shirt!



Karate Kid!



Ghostbusters!

Here is the real Adam F. Goldberg in an original Ghostbusters shirt posing with his toys. Can you name any of those action figures?

And let's just keep it rolling with the Ghostbusters... nice poster.


As weird as this may sound, this is kind of my dream car. 

Ya know, I wouldn't mind seeing scrunchy socks and side pony tails make a comeback.
Unrelated, I would love to have those skates.


I hope this show catches on. It really is great. You should watch it. Like, totally.





No comments:

Post a Comment