Monday, November 24, 2014

Vintage Owl Lamp Upcycle



A couple of years ago, I found this awesome ceramic owl lamp at a yard sale. I was so stoked about it, that I put it in my living room and took pics before I even fixed the lampshade. The owls were in decent shape, except there were a few minor chips on it. There was also one pretty bad chip on the owl's brow, but I loved it anyway. I thought about painting it to cover up these chips, but since I'm mostly a vintage purist, I thought it would be a bad idea.

Normally, I don't condone painting anything that is genuine vintage. Vintage wood furniture should almost never be painted. Anything collectible shouldn't be painted, if painting an item will diminish the value, don't paint it, etc, etc,.. You get the point. So, I never wanted to paint this baby, until now.

I've got to say that I DO NOT recommend buying one of these lamps and immediately painting it. If you find one and it's in great shape, you probably shouldn't paint it. I only painted this one after long and careful consideration and because there were some significant chips on it. Please don't go around painting up all of these beauties. If you love the look and really want to have one like it, I'm working on a cheap and easy DIY, knock off version. So, check back before you go paint one of these beauties.

See the AFTER version after the jump







I love how it turned out. The black really made his eyes pop. Also, those are his original eyes, which I taped off before painting. It has a little bit of a gothic look, which is my steeze in home decor. This could be done in white to give it a less macabre look.

Now you can barely tell that there is a chip in it. The only thing I wish I would have done is spray lighter on the wood so some of the original brown would show through. 

Here you can see just how bad the chip was.











No comments:

Post a Comment